Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale Technical Assistance Center Strategy (BRSS TACS) Awardee Corner
For more general information about each of these awards, visit the BRSS TACS Major Activities page.
BRSS TACS is pleased to highlight the work of the Maryland State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration (ADAA/MHA) as one of eight recipients of the 2013 SAMHSA BRSS TACS Policy Academy Award.
The goal of Maryland’s Policy Academy was to increase the availability of competent, trained Peer Recovery Support Specialists by establishing an integrated Peer Certification process, and offering free training to peers in the four domains plus supervision required for this certification.
Project Director Laura Burns-Heffner shares the following: "I have been extremely gratified and overwhelmed by the combined efforts of the Maryland BRSS TACS team in making our goal a reality. Our certification process was approved by the IC&RC on November 1, 2013, and Peer Recovery Support Specialists will be able to apply for grandfathering by March 1, 2014. The Policy Academy continues to be actively involved in review of curricula for ongoing training related to certification requirements, and will serve as an important resource as this process continues to fruition."
Peer-Run Organization/Recovery Community Organization Awards
We are excited to share the awardees of the second annual award:
- Alaska Peer Support Consortium (AK)
- Friends of Recovery-Vermont (VT)
- Grassroots Empowerment Project (WI)
- Mental Health Empowerment Project (NY)
- Sober Living Network (CA)
- The RECOVER Project (MA)
Please join us in congratulating the 2013 BRSS TACS Peer-Run Organization/Recovery Community Organization Awards recipients! Are you a current awardee? Do you have questions about your award? Would you like to be connected with a past awardee? Do you have a specific TA request? Contact Rebecca Stouff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Peer Awards for Health Reform Education
We are excited to share the awardees of the 2013 award:
- Foundation for Recovery, Inc. (NV)
- Grassroots Empowerment Project, Inc. (WI)
- Mental Health America of Oregon (OR)
- Minnesota Recovery Connection (MN)
- Pennsylvania Mental Health Consumers' Association (PA)
- The Council of Southeast Pennsylvania, Inc. (PA)
- The Transformation Center and Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery (MA)
- National Alliance of Methadone Advocates, Inc. (NY)
Are you a current awardee? Do you have questions about your award? Would you like to be connected with a past awardee? Do you have a specific TA request? Contact Robert Sember: email@example.com.
Policy Academy Awards
Teams from the following States were selected in 2013 to participate in an Policy Academy event to prepare them to create and implement a State Action Plans in their states:
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- West Virginia
As part of the BRSS TACS 2013 Policy Academy: Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale in the Context of the Affordable Care Act, eight interactive, ninety-minute knowledge-building sessions were produced. They are available for viewing below:
- Understanding and Using Utilization Projections, Cost Projections and Workforce Data, Original Air Date: June 14, 2013.
- Peers in Federally Qualified Health Centers, Original Air Date: June 13, 2013.
- Recovery Communities Support for Enrollment, Original Air Date: June 12, 2013.
- Financing Peer Support Services through Medicaid – Billing Codes and Other Factors, Original Air Date: June 11, 2013.
- Peer Specialist/Recovery Coach Certification, Original Air Date: June 7, 2013
- Substance Abuse/Mental Health Recovery Communities Working Together in Affordable Care Act Implementation, Original Air Date: June 7, 2013.
- Partnerships for Change: Effective Engagement of Consumers, Peers, and People in Recovery in Policy and Systems Planning, Original Air Date: June 6, 2013.
- Creating Culture Shift and Building Systems that Support Recovery including Peer Services, Original Air Date, June 6, 2013.
Are you a current awardee? Do you have questions about your award? Do you have a specific TA request? Contact your award manager, Rebecca Stouff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in applying for a BRSS TACS funding opportunity? Visit the BRSS TACS Major Activities page.