SAMHSA Health Reform Efforts
Implementing Behavioral Health Services
SAMHSA Offers Expert Advice
SAMHSA serves as a key subject-matter expert to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on policy issues related to the financing and delivery of behavioral health services.
SAMHSA Provides Technical Assistance
SAMHSA is a key source of technical assistance and information for the behavioral health field.
- BHbusiness for Providers
- Financing Research and Data
- Medicaid Handbook: Interface with Behavioral Health Services
- SAMHSA Enrollment Coalitions Initiative
SAMHSA Enhances its Effectiveness
By reviewing and adapting the activities of all programs offered by its centers and offices, SAMHSA ensures that its efforts respond to changes in the broader health care financing system under the Affordable Care Act.
SAMHSA Promotes Behavioral Health Care
The Affordable Care Act makes it easier for people with mental health challenges and substance use disorders to integrate behavioral health into “whole person” health care approaches. To provide better support for patients, their families, and the practitioners and providers who serve them, SAMHSA seeks to:
- Open high-quality behavioral health care to all Americans
- Integrate mental health and substance use care into the broader health system
- Assure that mental, addictive, and physical conditions are treated similarly
- Offer people with mental disabilities treatment in a community-based setting
- Provide people with early periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment
- Increase use of health information technology for integrated care
- Description of a Good and Modern Addictions and Mental Health Service System (PDF | 125 KB)
- Challenge.gov Campaigns
Behavioral Health Financing System Planning
SAMHSA develops a range of research, consensus, and technical assistance products drawing on a wide range of quantitative and qualitative data sources to assist financing policy makers in planning for the financing and delivery of cost-effective behavioral health services.
SAMHSA Financing Focus Newsletter
Financing Focus is a monthly newsletter that provides the best up-to-date news on the Affordable Care Act’s implementation related to behavioral health across the Nation.
Eligible states and territories receive block grants to address their unique local behavioral health issues. Block grants support a variety of substance abuse prevention and treatment services and mental health services for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbance. Block grants also expand the capacity of state and territory prevention, treatment, and recovery services by funding planning, administrative and educational activities.