2013 Awards Event
On September 25, SAMHSA and its Voice Awards program partners honored community leaders in recovery from mental and/or substance use disorders, as well as television and film professionals. These individuals were recognized for their collective efforts to educate the public about the real experiences of people with behavioral health conditions.
For 2013, SAMHSA focused on the significant impact that individuals and communities can have when they support and give a voice to people with mental and/or substance use disorders by educating others about behavioral health and motivating them to create change in their communities.
Actors Mehcad Brooks (USA Network's "Necessary Roughness") and Max Burkholder (NBC's "Parenthood") hosted the eighth annual event that took place at Paramount Studios. The event brought together representatives from the behavioral health community and the entertainment industry for an evening of education and awareness about the societal contributions of people living with behavioral health conditions.
Attendees had the opportunity to engage in a dynamic conversation with the entertainment industry about important behavioral health issues and celebrated Voice Award-winning individuals and productions that included:
- "Silver Linings Playbook" (The Weinstein Company)
- "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (Summit Entertainment)
- "Elementary" (CBS)
- "NCIS" (CBS)
- "The Newsroom" (HBO)
- "Call Me Crazy: A Five Film" (Lifetime)
- "Homeland" (Showtime)
- "Perception" (TNT)
More Information About the 2013 Event
- Awards: Meet the award winners
- Highlights: See the highlights
- Pre-show: Watch the full pre-show
- Event: Watch the full event
- Welcome: Watch SAMHSA's welcome remarks
- Remarks: Watch the individual acceptance speeches and pre-show interviews
- Conversation: Watch the town hall-style conversation with the entertainment industry about important behavioral health issues
- Press Release: Read the event press release
- Program Partners: Learn more about the program partners